The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) is committed to providing safe facilities and a well-maintained collection for our community of scholars and researchers. The Conduct Policy enumerates the standards of behavior expected of our patrons to sustain an open and accessible academic environment.
A security guard is available in the evenings for those wanting an escort to their cars or back to their dorms. Please contact the guard via the Circulation Desk in the Library either in person or by calling 510-649-2500.
Theft in the Library...
...is an unfortunate reality. Please help us take every precaution to ensure the security of your personal belongings: purses, wallets, backpacks, books, portable computers and other electronic devices.
Sleeping in the Library increases the potential for theft of personal items. For this reason, Library staff will discourage patrons from sleeping.
Help us Keep Your Belongings Secure
Here are a few simple steps you can take:
- Never leave your personal belongings out of your sight.
- Be aware of your surroundings and any unusual activity.
- Your most valuable items should be marked with your name and driver's license number or other identifying information.
- Study with a friend or try to study in an area where other students are located.
Students may reserve one of two study rooms in the Library. Each room can accommodate one to several people; the rooms are keyed for security.
Reservations can be made up to a week in advance in person or by phone. Please contact the Circulation Desk at 510-649-2500.
Steps we take to ensure your safety
Here at the GTU Library, your safety is our concern.
- At student orientation each year, we review library safety.
- Safety issues are addressed at formal fall/winter library tours.
- An article about library safety appears annually in the fall issue of the Dean's Newsletter.
- During the academic year, library staff conduct regular walk-throughs of the building.
- Library staff and circulation assistants have ongoing training in safety and security procedures.
Police Phone Numbers
Berkeley Police Department:
911 or 510-981-5911 from cell phone
The Library will not under any circumstances take responsibility for theft, damage or loss of property.
Food & Drink Policies
- Food is not allowed in the library. Please enjoy all food outside on our patio.
- Drinks are only allowed in covered sealable containers, such as in a travel mug or water bottle. Containers such as open ceramic mugs, glasses, cans, and disposable paper coffee cups are not allowed.