The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) is committed to providing safe facilities and a well-maintained collection for our community of scholars and researchers. The Conduct Policy enumerates the standards of behavior expected of our patrons to sustain an open and accessible academic environment.
Theft in the library...
...is an unfortunate reality. Please help us take every precaution to ensure the security of your personal belongings: purses, wallets, backpacks, books, portable computers and other electronic devices.
Sleeping in the Library increases the potential for theft of personal items. For this reason, Library staff will discourage patrons from sleeping.
Help us keep your belongings secure
Here are a few simple steps you can take:
- Never leave your personal belongings out of your sight.
- Be aware of your surroundings and any unusual activity.
- Your most valuable items should be marked with your name and driver's license number or other identifying information.
- Study with a friend or try to study in an area where other students are located.
Use a locker
We have free lockers for GTU students, visiting scholars, and adjunct faculty to check out and use.
- Lockers are available for use by individuals of the GTU and member schools.
- Access codes for the lockers are valid until the end of the academic school year for PhD students and the end of the semester for all other registered students.
- Please remove your belongings before the due date. After the due date, the lockers will be emptied and the access codes changed.
- You must bring your access code with you or memorize it. Library staff is unable to give out access codes after you have checked out the locker. If you lose your access code, a fee of $10.00 will be applied for changing the code.
- Lockers are for storing personal belongings only. This includes library materials that are checked out to you. Under no circumstances may lockers be used to store library materials that are not checked out to you. In addition, no food or drinks may be stored in the locker. With the first violation, the offending items will be removed and a letter of warning will be sent to you. At the second violation, the access code will be changed and your locker privileges will be suspended until the following semester.
GTU-owned materials left in lockers at the end of the locker loan period will be checked in and re-shelved.
Personal items left in lockers will be held for 30 days and then discarded.
The GTU library reserves the right to search lockers at any time.
Study Room (Available Fall 2021)
Students, faculty, and staff may reserve Seminar B in the Library for solo use. You will need to use your official school address to book the room. This room has an 86 inch touch screen computer, and can be used for practicing presentations, having zoom meetings, or online interviews. Normally this room is available for group use, but during Fall semeseter, when not being used as a classroom, it will only be available for one person at a time.
Reservations can be made via: https://www.gtu.edu/library/policies/reservations
Steps we take to ensure your safety
Here at the GTU Library, your safety is our concern.
- At student orientation each year, we review library safety.
- Library staff conduct regular walk-throughs of the building.
- Library staff and circulation assistants have ongoing training in safety and security procedures.
Police Phone Numbers
Berkeley Police Department:
911 or 510-981-5911 from cell phone
The Library will not under any circumstances take responsibility for theft, damage or loss of property.
Food & Drink policies
- Food is not allowed in the library. Please enjoy all food outside on our patio.
- Drinks are only allowed in covered sealable containers, such as in a travel mug or water bottle. Containers such as open ceramic mugs, glasses, cans, and disposable paper coffee cups are not allowed.