The Jesuit School of Theology is a professional theological school faithful to the intellectual tradition and the apostolic priority of the Society of Jesus: reverent and critical service of the faith that does justice. As an ecclesiastical faculty of theology, it also prepares men and women to serve the Church as scholars and teachers, fulfilling this mission in the ecumenical context of the Graduate Theological Union.
Denominational Affiliation: Roman Catholic (Society of Jesus)
Accreditation: Association of Theological Schools, WASC Senior College and University Commission
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Theological Studies (MTS): two year program, broad theological education with specific concentration.
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): three year program, preparation for pastoral ministry and ordination to the Roman Catholic priesthood.
- Master of Theology (ThM): one year program focused on student’s area of interest, MDiv or equivalent prerequisite.
- Bachelor of Sacred Theology
- Licentiate in Sacred Theology (STL): two year program, advanced ecclesiastical degree.
- Doctor of Sacred Theology (STD): advanced ecclesiastical degree.
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU): two year program focused on the interdisciplinary academic study of religion.
- New Directions: one or two semester sabbatical program for rest, reflection and theological renewal.
- Special Studies Program: one or two course option for those seeking personal renewal or theological enrichment or who are considering a degree program.
- Note: Certificate of Theological Studies or the Certificate in Ministry Studies may be earned through either of these programs.
- El Instituto Hispano en Estudios Teológicos y Pastorales: taught in Spanish, this two-week summer program prepares women and men for ministry in Hispanic/Latino communities.
Facilities: JST is located at the east end of the main core of the GTU complex. It is close to the GTU library and administration buildings and UC Berkeley. In addition to classrooms, offices, and study lounges, the JST houses its own chapel and performs regularly scheduled worship services.
For further information, contact:
Jesuit School of Theology
1735 LeRoy Avenue Berkeley, CA 94709