Financial Aid is awarded based on a standard 9-month academic year, not by calendar year. The academic year award cycle begins with fall, followed by spring, and ends with summer term. Please Note that under Title IV federal student aid regulations, our summer term is considered a single term comprised of a combination of mini-sessions or modules. A module is defined as a course or courses in a payment period or semester that does not span the entire length of the term.
Students must apply for financial aid each academic year for which they wish to receive financial aid. It is the student's responsibility to reapply for funding as necessary by completing the Financial Aid Application, FAFSA, and any subsequent documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. Awarding normally occurs in the Spring, but students entering in a spring semester should apply in the fall by the published priority deadline. Financial aid applications for new, entering students are reviewed only after the Financial Aid Office has been notified by the Admissions Office that the applicant has been admitted to their program.
IMPORTANT NOTE: GTU MA students must also follow all application requirements of their school of affiliation for institutional tuition assistance eligiblity.
To submit documents to the GTU Financial Aid Office
Email encrypted PDF attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If you elect to send documentation by email, please send PDF attachments in an encrypted email or password protect the attachments then send a separate email with the password(s). Unencrypted emails that include social security numbers will not be delivered as they will be blocked by the GTU’s firewall. Free encryption services include the following: Engimail, Mailvelope, Infoencrypt, Mymain Crypt for Gmail, and Gpg4Win.
Mail: 2400 Ridge Rd., Berkeley, CA 94709
In person: 2465 LeConte Ave., 3rd Floor
Please remember to print and keep a copy of all documents for your records!
Current and prospective MA students who wish to apply for financial assistance are required to complete the FAFSA. The GTU and the member and affiliate schools use it to help determine eligibility for merit and/or need-based tuition assistance. Therefore, financial aid applicants who wish to receive tuition assistance must complete the FAFSA even if they do not wish to accept an award of federal student aid. Applicants must include both the GTU’s school code, G01207, and the corresponding code for their member school.
GTU Master of Arts students who affiliate with BST, CDSP, CSS, DSPT, IBS, JST, PAOI, PLTS, PSR, SFTS, SKSM may require a separate financial aid application in order to apply for institutional tuition assistance. Please contact your school of affiliation’s Financial Aid Office and visit the corresponding member or affiliate school’s website for additional information. Please note that member and affiliate schools will communicate institutional awards directly to the GTU Financial Aid Office and we will finalize and communicate your completed financial aid package that is inclusive of all sources of aid that you are eligible for.
Current and Prospective GTU MA and PhD students must complete the steps outlined below.
- Submit the 2020-21 GTU Financial Aid Application to the Financial Aid Office by the priority deadline.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline. Your completed online FAFSA should be signed electronically with your FSA ID so that your financial need can be evaluated. Your 2018 tax information may be imported using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). Be sure to include the GTU federal school code, G01207, in the school section of the FAFSA. MA students who affiliate with BST, CDSP, DSPT, PLTS, PSR, SFTS, or SKSM must include the affiliate school code in addition. To check the status of your FAFSA, call (800) 433-3243.
- After submitting your FAFSA, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Carefully review the SAR and submit any corrections.
- If your SAR is selected for Verification, the Financial Aid Office will request that you complete a Verification Worksheet and submit a copy of your 2018 IRS tax transcript, if you have not successfully used the IRS DRT. The Verification Worksheet will be made available in late fall each year. Participation in the verification process is not optional. Students who do not submit the required documentation within thirty (30) days of the request may experience financial aid processing delays.
- If you are a member of a religious, you must submit a letter from your superior regarding your financial circumstances. The letter should also indicate the level of support that the order will provide for your education in the upcoming academic year.
- When your file is complete, your financial aid eligibility will be determined, and you will receive notification from the Financial Aid Office to review your financial aid award package in Net Partner. Please follow the steps outlined in the Financial Aid Award Checklist once you have received notification.
GTU Master of Arts students who affiliate with BST, CDSP, CSS, DSPT, IBS, JST, PAOI, PLTS, PSR, SFTS, SKSM should contact their member school directly for their institutional tuition assistance application.
Current and prospective GTU PhD and MA students affiliating with a GTU Center must complete the steps outlined below for institutional financial aid consideration:
- Submit the 2020-2021 GTU Financial Aid Application to the Financial Aid office by your priority deadline.
- Submit bank statements for the most current three-month period to the Financial Aid office by your priority deadline.
- If you are a member of a religious order, you must submit a letter from your superior regarding your financial situation. The letter should also include the level of support that the order will provide for your education in the upcoming academic year.
- When your file is complete, your financial aid eligibility will be determined, and you will receive notification from the GTU Financial Aid Office to review your financial aid award package in Net Partner. Please follow the steps outlined in the Financial Aid Award Checklist once your have received this notification.