The Dominican School of Philosophy & Theology (DSPT), a member of the Graduate Theological Union, is a community of scholars committed to the pursuit of truth as revealed in the Gospel and discovered by human reason. As a Center of Studies of the Order of Preachers and an apostolate of the Western Dominican Province, the School is committed to preparing women and men for academic and apostolic vocations.
Denominational Affiliation: Roman Catholic, an approved Center of Studies of the Order of Preachers
Accreditation: Association of Theological Schools, WASC Senior College and University Commission
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Arts, Philosophy (MAPh): two-year program, emphasis on St. Thomas Aquinas.
- Concurrent Master of Arts - Philosophy & Theology: three-year program, with the CCMA students complete two degrees a Masters in Philosophy and a Masters in Theology.
- Master of Arts, Theology (MAT): two-year program, emphasis on theological inquiry.
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): three year program, ordination track.
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU)
- Certificate of Theological Studies: 12 units, emphasis on personal enrichment in the Dominican tradition.
Certificate of Philosophical Studies: 12 units, emphasis on the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Facilities: DSPT is located in the main core of the GTU campus, near the library and administration building and UC Berkeley. Affiliated resources include the Institute of Salesian Spirituality, which offers a program of study and formative experiences in the tradition of the Salesian Family of St. John Bosco and the Santa Fe Institute whose 10,000 volume library focuses on religion and the arts including sacred arts and Catholic liturgy.
For further information, write or call:
Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology
2301 Vine Street, Berkeley, CA 94708