To officially identify you as a GTU student and to receive GTU and UCB library privileges, the GTU issues an Photo Student ID card to every student during Orientation. This card is also your library card. We will put a library barcode on the back of this card, but you can also login to online library resources (ebooks and databases) using your student ID number.
- JST students will receive their student ID cards from Santa Clara University, and the GTU library will put a barcode on the front of that card.
- PLTS students will receive their student ID cards from California Lutheran University and the GTU library will put a barcode on the back of that card.
Obtaining a New Card
Residential Students: Cards are created and issued during New Student Orientation to coincide with the visit to the library. If a student is unable to attend, the library offers make-up orientations at which cards can be created and distributed. After that, a student must make an appointment at email@example.com to have the card created. Note that cards can only be made once the school registrar has transmitted data to Moodle and the library.
After the card has been created and the student has registered for classes, the student can visit the library circulation desk to have the barcode affixed to it, or it will be provided upon checkout of the first book. A current semester sticker is required to obtain borrowing privileges at UCB (visit the privileges desk at the Doe Library).
Distance Students: Unless necessary, cards are not issued to distance students, as they can access online library resources using the student ID number. If a card is required, it will be made and sent to the school’s registrar, who is responsible for mailing the card to the student.
Regular Faculty: The faculty member must ask the dean or registrar to make an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org to have the card created.
Staff, Adjunct Faculty, Visiting Scholars: These individuals normally receive a paper ID card from the dean or registrar. If a photo ID is desired, the person must ask the dean, registrar or supervisor to make an appointment at email@example.com to have the card created.
Community patrons, ALTA reciprocal borrowers, UCB: All will have paper card made at library. Patrons will provide proof of status when they visit the circulation desk.
Once a student has registered for the new term, the data is transmitted to the library, which renews the card. Students will need a semester sticker in order to have UCB library privileges renewed.
Lost and Stolen ID Cards
General Guidelines about Cards
- The card is primarily to identify the individual as a student. Having another role in the consortium (staff, adjunct faculty) does not entitle the individual to a new card.
- The individual’s legal name must be on the card (preferred name may appear in parentheses). This is because student ID cards can serve as an I-9 acceptable document for identity to verify employment eligibility.
- A student who changes schools within the consortium (and thus receives a new student ID number) is entitled to a new card with no charge.