San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS) prepares leaders for the church of Jesus Christ in God’s mission to the world. We are committed to the education of a diverse body of students in spiritual formation, critical theological reflection, and the skills and arts of ministry, to serve in congregations, the wider church, the classroom, and the public sphere.
Denominational Affiliation: Presbyterian Church (USA)
Accreditation: Association of Theological Schools, WASC Senior College and University Commission
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): two year program with ordination and non-ordination (lay) tracks, including internship.
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies (MATS): two year program, non-ordination track. Students holding the MDiv may receive advanced standing in the MATS and use this degree to further their academic preparation for the ministry or advanced study. The MATS at SFTS is now available fully online!
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU): two year program focused on the interdisciplinary academic study of religion.
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin): Advanced Pastoral Studies program for those practicing ministry. Combines ministry-oriented spiritual formation, contextual theological reflection, and advanced skills development through peer-group reflection, intensive academic coursework, and independent research and creative activities which culminate in a dissertation/project intended to enable innovation in addressing an issue in contemporary ministry.
- Diploma in the Art of Spiritual Direction: one year program combines coursework and supervised practice as a spiritual director. May be combined with the MDiv, MATS, or DMin.
- Diploma in Spiritual Formation Studies: one year program provides a flexible diploma in general spiritual formation studies.
- Certificate in Ministry
- Certificate in Advanced Pastoral Studies: one year program for qualified students who wish to update their theological education and refresh or develop new skills for ministry.
- Certificate in Trauma and Spiritual Care: one year program for working professionals in both clinical and pastoral settings to provide skills to support people during life’s most difficult situations. Offered in a combination of online offerings and on-campus weekends. May be combined with MDiv, MATS, or DMin degree programs.
- Clinical Pastoral Education: program fully accredited by the ACPE
Facilities: SFTS is located in San Anselmo (Marin County), CA, just north of San Francisco. Shuttle bus service is provided between SFTS and the GTU campus located in Berkeley, CA.
For further information:
San Francisco Theological Seminary
105 Seminary Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Telephone: (415) 451-2800
Fax: (415) 451-2851