San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS), part of the Graduate School of Theology at the University of Redlands, reinvents education for ministry through rigorous scholarship, and a tradition of commitment to spirituality and social justice ministry in the Christian faith. We have created innovative educational programs for people from all walks of life to apply wisdom and ethics to all kinds of work in the world. Our students seek to make the world a better place for all.
Denominational Affiliation: Presbyterian Church (USA)
Accreditation: Association of Theological Schools, WASC Senior College and University Commission
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): two-year program with ordination and non-ordination (lay) tracks, including internship.
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies (MATS): two-year program, non-ordination track. Students holding the MDiv may receive advanced standing in the MATS and use this degree to further their academic preparation for the ministry or advanced study. The MATS at SFTS is now available fully online!
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU): two-year program focused on the interdisciplinary academic study of religion.
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin): Advanced Pastoral Studies program for those practicing ministry. Combines ministry-oriented spiritual formation, contextual theological reflection, and advanced skills development through peer-group reflection, intensive academic coursework, and independent research and creative activities which culminate in a dissertation/project intended to enable innovation in addressing an issue in contemporary ministry.
- Diploma in the Art of Spiritual Direction: one-year program combines coursework and supervised practice as a spiritual director. May be combined with the MDiv, MATS, or DMin.
- Diploma in Spiritual Formation Studies: one-year program provides a flexible diploma in general spiritual formation studies.
- Certificate in Advanced Pastoral Studies: one-year program for qualified students who wish to update their theological education and refresh or develop new skills for ministry.
- Certificate in Trauma & Spiritual Care: one-year program for working professionals in both clinical and pastoral settings to provide skills to support people during life’s most difficult situations. Offered in a combination of online offerings and on-campus weekends. May be combined with MDiv, MATS, or DMin degree programs.
- Clinical Pastoral Education: program fully accredited by the ACPE
Facilities: SFTS is located in San Anselmo (Marin County), CA, just north of San Francisco. Shuttle bus service is provided between SFTS and the GTU campus located in Berkeley, CA.
For further information:
San Francisco Theological Seminary
105 Seminary Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Telephone: (415) 451-2800