Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary of California Lutheran University (PLTS) develops leaders for the church by deepening faith in Christ, expanding the heart, challenging the mind, and energizing for mission. PLTS is committed to academic faith practitioners; most faculty have served as parish pastors in the Lutheran Church.
Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Accreditation: Association of Theological Schools
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): three-year, ordination track program includes two years of classroom study with field experience and one year of supervised internship.
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU): two-year program focused on the interdisciplinary academic study of religion.
(Note: MA and MDiv degrees may be earned sequentially in five years by applying and being admitted separately to each program.)
- Master of Theological Studies (MTS): two-year program.
- Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS): one-year program for personal enrichment or in consideration of a degree program.
- Certificate of Advanced Theological Study (CATS): one-year, individually-designed program for regularly admitted students who have already completed a professional ministry degree.
- Theological Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM): TEEM serves the ELCA’s goal to provide African American, Hispanic American, Asian American, and Native American pastors and lay workers for these communities. Interested students please contact your Synod offices.
Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
2000 Center Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Regular office hours are 8:00a.m. to 4:30p.m., Monday through Friday, Pacific time.