Pacific School of Religion (PSR) is committed to serving God by equipping historic and emerging faith communities for ministries of compassion and justice in a changing world. Our commitments find expression in innovative programs of scholarship and education for clergy and laity. We seek to embody these values and disciplines in our programs and our common life.
Denominational Affiliation: Multidenominational. A seminary of the United Church of Christ, PSR has a historic relationship with The United Methodist Church and Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Accreditation Association of Theological Schools, WASC Senior College and University Commission
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): three-year, ordination and non-ordination track programs. PSR now offers a “stackable curriculum,” which awards credentials after each year of fulltime study, allowing students to earn a Certificate of Spirituality and Social Change (CCSC) in their first year, the Master of Arts in Social Transformation (MAST) the second year, and the Master of Divinity (MDiv) in the third and final year.
- Master of Arts in Social Transformation (MAST): two-year program blending social theory and constructive theology for inspired social activism.
- Master of Theological Studies (MTS): two-year program with broad and comprehensive interdisciplinary education in theological studies.
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU): two-year program focused on the interdisciplinary academic study of religion. (Note: MDiv and MA may be combined for students preparing for ministry who wish to pursue an additional academic area of study or interest.)
- Doctor of Ministry (DM): an advanced professional degree in ministry that brings together theory and praxis rooted in the academy and the community of faith.
- Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS): one-year program to sharpen understanding of faith and clarify vocational or academic goals. Equivalent to first-year in MA program.
- Certificate of Special Studies (CSS): one-year program at PSR for international students earning degrees in their home countries.
- Certificate of Sexuality and Religion (CSR): one-year program focusing on the theological, historical, ethical, pastoral, and practical dimensions of sexuality, sexual orientation, religion, and gender identity. May be combined concurrently with other PSR degree programs.
- Certificate of Spirituality and Social Change (CSSC): one-year program offers specialized training in spiritual social activism. May be combined concurrently with other PSR degree programs.
- Certificate of Advanced Professional Studies (CAPS): one year program designed for persons who hold professional degrees in ministry and wish to continue their education without seeking a doctoral degree.
- Certificate of Theological Education for Leadership (CTEL): one-year program provides online, non-credit theological leadership and ministry studies for lay and clergy leaders preparing to strengthen congregations and create new ministries.
- Certificate of Gender, Sexuality, and the Bible (CGSB): one-year program invites all readers of the Bible to join a rich, substantive exploration of sexuality and gender from a progressive theological perspective.
Facilities and Affiliated Resources: PSR’s campus, including art museum, student housing, and cafeteria, is in the main core of the GTU campus, near the library and administrative offices and UC Berkeley. PSR has a supportive relationship with Metropolitan Community Church for LGBTQ and Gender Studies in Religion, Ignite, Bade and the Disciples Seminary Foundation.
For further information, contact:
Office of Recruitment and Admissions
Pacific School of Religion
1798 Scenic Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709