ABSW prepares innovative church leaders for the twenty-first century, competent to minister in a multicultural and multiracial world. ABSW students are rooted in an evangelical heritage and tradition, equipped for ecumenical partnership in ministry, biblically and theologically literate, skilled in the practice of ministry for personal, ecclesial, and social transformation, and committed to the justice demands of the Gospel. ABSW is affiliated with the American Baptist Churches USA, but actively welcomes students from all Christian traditions.
Denominational Affiliation: American Baptist Churches USA. ABSW actively recruits students from other Christian traditions.
Accreditation: Association of Theological Schools
Academic Programs and Degrees
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): three year degree (78 units), ordination track, scheduled for working adults. Courses may be taken at ABSW, the Graduate Theological Union, or UC Berkeley.
- Master of Arts (MA, through the GTU). Interdisciplinary academic study and practice of religion and spirituality.
- Masters in Community Leadership (MCL): two year degree (48 units), prepares men and women for church and community service in ordained and non-ordained capacities.
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin): three year (24 units plus thesis) interdisciplinary advanced degree focused on the practice of ministry in urban multi-cultural settings.
- Coursework in Korean language optional.
Facilities: Hobart Hall, built in 1921 by Berkeley architect Julia Morgan, houses faculty and administrative offices, classrooms, and a student computer lab. Student housing adjacent to the campus. GTU Library and administrative offices and UC Berkeley are within walking distance.
American Baptist Seminary of the West
2606 Dwight Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Telephone: (510) 841-1905 x229
Fax: (510) 841-2446