Mandatory Drug-Free Notification

The Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 (Public Law 101-226) requires all schools receiving federal funding of any kind (i.e. CWSP, Perkins Loans) to notify all employees of the following on an annual basis:

  1. The Graduate Theological Union and its member schools require that their campuses be drug free. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance while at GTU is prohibited. Abuse of alcohol (including underage drinking) on GTU premises is also not allowed. Violation of this policy will be considered cause for termination from employment.
  2. GTU is required to impose sanctions, up to and including the dismissal, of any employee engaged in the abuse of alcohol or the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs while on GTU or member school premises. Any employee involved in such illegal activity is subject to legal sanctions under local, State, and Federal law. Information regarding specific penalties is available at the GTU Business Office. In addition, an employee convicted of any criminal drug statute for a violation occurring in the workplace is required to notify the Personnel Officer or the Vice President for Administration and Finance, of such a conviction no later than five days from the date of the conviction.
  3. The health risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol are many. Detailed information concerning the known health hazards resulting from the abuse of drugs and alcohol may be obtained from your physician, from UCB's Health Services (Tang Center), or from the GTU Business Office.
  4. Several drug and alcohol counseling, treatment, and rehabilitation programs are available to you. Should you or someone you know need help in dealing with a drug or alcohol dependency problem, you may call 510/869-8850. You will be connected with the Merritt Peralta Institute’s Chemical Dependency Department, where your initial consultation is free. The consultation includes assessment of the problem and the recommendation of a treatment plan. In addition, you may call 510/839-8900 for referral to an Alcoholics Anonymous program near you or 510/444-4673 for referral to a local Narcotics Anonymous program.

The following is a summary of Federal drug laws and penalties that are in effect and current as of August 2, 2021. Please refer to the link below for specific prohibitions and information regarding penalties.

Federal Drug Conviction Legislation

Under the provision of the Federal Higher Education Act, a conviction of any offense involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance during a period of enrollment for which a student receives Title IV, Higher Education Act Federal Student Aid (i.e. grants, loans, or work-study), the student shall be ineligible to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance from the date of the conviction for the period of time specified in 20 U.S.C. 1091(r)(1):

(1) IN GENERAL- A student who has been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under this title during the period beginning on the date of such conviction and ending after the interval specified in the following table:

If convicted of an offense involving:

The possession of a controlled substance the ineligibility period is:

  • First offense: 1 year
  • Second offense: 2 years
  • Third offense: Indefinite.

The sale of a controlled substance the ineligibility period is:

  • First offense: 2 years
  • Second offense: Indefinite.

(2) REHABILITATION- A student whose eligibility has been suspended under paragraph (1) may resume eligibility before the end of the ineligibility period determined under such paragraph if--

(A) the student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program that--

(i) complies with such criteria as the Secretary shall prescribe in regulations for purposes of this paragraph; and

(B) the conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise rendered nugatory.

For more information, see the entire legislation.