John Dillenberger (Dean ‘63-‘69, President ‘67-‘71)
John Dillenberger was integral to the GTU’s creation. Born in 1918, he was a Dean of the Faculty at San Francisco Theological Seminary. He served as the GTU’s dean from 1964 to 1969 and as its first president from 1967 to 1972. He would later serve again as Acting President from 1999-2000. He also served the GTU as Acting Library Director. At the GTU, he was a professor of historical theology, particularly interested in the history of science. Much of his academic writings focused on the relationship between religion and science. He has published Protestant Thought and Natural Science and Creation and the History of Science.
He was formerly President of Hartford Theological Seminary and Chair of the Program in History and Philosophy at Harvard University. He also served as President of the American Academy of Religion. Dillenberger died in 2008 and is remembered for high energetic commitment and service to the GTU from its inception.
J. Stillson Judah (Library Director ‘66-‘77)
J. Stillson Judah was born in 1911 in Leavenworth, WA. He studied in Philosophy and Oriental Studies at the University of Washington, finishing in 1934. In 1940, and again in 1966, he completed graduate studies at the University of California, Berkeley. After graduating with a Library Certificate in 1941, he would go on to serve as librarian at the Pacific School of Religion from 1941-1969.
He edited and compiled the Index of Religious Periodical Literature from 1949 to 1952. He began annotating individual schools library holdings (as PSR librarian) and cooperating with JST (not yet joined the union) even before the Bibliographic Center and signing of the Common Library agreement. He oversaw the formation of a common collection and the visioning of the library building. Eventually he took on responsibilities as the GTU Library’s first librarian. He was instrumental in starting and building the GTU's collection of new religious movements.
Judah was a Professor, specializing in the History of Religions. He was actively involved in religious freedom movements from the 1960’s to 1970’s. He retired in 1976. He also served as the Vice Chairman of the Alliance for the Preservation of Religious Liberty. He passed away in October 2000.
David Winston (’66-’89, CJS director and faculty)
David Winston was a Professor of Hellenistic and Judaic Studies at the Center for Jewish Studies from 1966 to 1995. In 1968, the GTU inaugurated the Center for Jewish Studies, and Winston would become its Director.
He was ordained a rabbi at the Jewish Theological Seminary in 1955. In 1987, Jewish Theological Seminary would also award him with an honorary doctorate. At Columbia University, he received both his A.M and PhD in Greek and Latin. He returned to Columbia University in 1958 to teach these same subjects. In 1960, he left Columbia University for the University of Judaism in Los Angeles. At the University of Judaism, he served as Associate Professor of Rabbinic and Hellenistic Literature, until 1966 when he appointed Professor of Hellenistic and Judaic Studies at the Graduate Theological Union.
He was a research fellow at the Institute for Advanced Studies on Mt. Scopus in 1976 and the American Academy for Jewish Research in 1976. He was twice awarded the Natural Endowment for the Humanities senior fellowship in 1978 and again in 1986. He served as a member and a trustee of the Philo Institute and was the director of the Philo Project, a joint initiative between UCB and GTU, from 1976 to 1978. He also served as President for the Pacific Coast section of the Society for Biblical Literature.
Winston has written a number of publications, including: The Wisdom of Solomon; Philo of Alexandria: The Contemplative Life, The Giants, and Selections; and Logos and Mystical Theology in Philo of Alexandria.