Ronald D. Burris
Associate Professor of Church History
Core Doctoral Faculty
At the GTU since2002
Degrees and Certifications
PhD, Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley CA
MA, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena CA
BA, University of California, Davis CA
Research and Teaching Interests
- The major African fathers: Tertullian, Cyprian and St. Augustine
- The theology and history of the Church in North Africa
- The history of the first four ecumenical councils
- The history and theology of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The Civil Rights movement as it relates to the theology of justice and love
- Reformation History and Theology
- "Another Look at the Good Samaritan: Luke 10:25-37," Review and Expositor, Fall, 2017.
- Wisdom from Africa: Theological Reflections on the Confessions of St. Augustine, Wipf & Stock Pub, 2016.
- Where is the Church? Martyrdom, Persecution, and Baptism in North Africa from the Second to the Fifth Century, Resource Publication, 2012.
- Jesus Christ as Ancestor: A Theological Study of Major African Ancestor Christologies in Conversation with the Patristic Christologies of Tertullian and Athanasius, by Reuben Turbi Luka, Langham Monographs 2019 pp.408. RBL 10/2022 the Society of Biblical Literature. See www.sblcentral.org/home
- The Christian Moses: Vision, Authority, and the Limits of Humanity in the New Testament and Early Christianity, by Jared C. Calaway. Studies in Christianity and Judaism 2. Montreal: McGill- Queen’s University Press, 2020, XVIII + 387 pp
Church History, volume 89, Issue 3, September 2020, 89, 659-750. Published online by Cambridge University Press: 23 February 2021, pp.659-660
- The Donatist Church in an Apocalyptic Age, by Jesse A. Hoover. New York: Oxford University Press, 2018. 254 pp .
American Academy of Religion, Reading Religion, February 19, 2019.