Access the latest, most up-to-date COVID-19 resources, policies, and news for faculty, students, and staff of the GTU here>>
Yehan Numata Professor of Japanese Buddhist Studies
Teaching Statement: I am concerned that students learn to think critically, and employ their creativity toward the end of enjoying the intellectual project of scholarship.
PhD, Graduate Theological Union
MA, Nyingma Institute
BA and MA, San Jose State University
- Tantric Buddhist Ritual
- History of Tantric Buddhism
- Secular Buddhism
- Ritual Studies
- the Mahāyānasaṃgraha
- Pure Lands in Asian Texts and Contexts: An Anthology (Edited with Georgios Halkias), University of Hawai'i Press, 2019.
- Language in the Buddhist Tantra of Japan: Indic Roots of Mantra, Bloomsbury Academic, 2018.
- Homa Variations: The Study of Ritual Change Across the Longue Duree, (Edited with Michael Witzel), Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Esoteric Buddhism and the Tantras in East Asia, (Edited with Charles D. Orzech), BRILL, 2011.