Associate Professor of Organizational Leadership & Intercultural Studies, Academic Director of Ignite
Peter Rios is the author of Untold Stories: The Latinx Leadership Experience in Higher Education, with Wipf and Stock Publishers, and is currently writing a second book with Fortress Press titled, Apostles of Equity: Transforming your Leadership from Exclusion to Inclusion. Ongoing research interests include the political engagement and representation of minoritized and marginalized people in the U.S. and the Caribbean, Whiteness and normativity, diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, the intersections of race, religion and politics, and social transformation through business and leadership.
Dr. Rios brings transdisciplinary theory and practice to his teaching and research, applying critical race and Latina/o/x critical theory, intersectionality, narrative inquiry, leadership and liberative theologies to address issues with social justice and organizational leadership.He has served as a leadership consultant and coach to diverse organizations including churches and religious institutions, businesses, educational institutions, and non-profits. Most recent projects include work with Duke Divinity School, Harvard University, and the Lilly Endowment. Presently, he serves on the Board of Directors for la Association para la Educación Teológica Hispana (AETH), a network of theological institutions and people that since 1992, serve throughout the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and more recently in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Dr. Rios has been invited to speak and train leaders, nationally and internationally. Peter has served as a lecturer of leadership studies at Penn State and has been an affiliate faculty at various institutions teaching undergraduate and graduate students. Rios has also been a vice president at two universities. Prior to academia, Peter was involved in pastoral ministry for over ten years and has over twenty years of leadership development experience.
Dr. Rios is married to Dr. Ruby Gonzalez Rios, a cancer and infectious disease researcher. He enjoys a good cup of coffee, following the NBA, swimming in the Caribbean Ocean, trying new foods and restaurants, meeting new people and spending time with friends and family.
- PhD, Intercultural Studies, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Doctorate in Strategic Leadership, Regent University School of Business and Leadership
- Doctoral coursework, University of Southern California
- Race, Religion and Politics
- Organizational Leadership
- Liberation Theologies
- Diversity Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
- Critical Race and Latina/o/x Critical Theories
- Apostles of Equity: Transforming your Leadership from Exclusion to Inclusion. Fortress Press. (Forthcoming 2023)
- Untold Stories: The Latinx Leadership Experience in Higher Education. Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2021.
- Contextual Thinking
- Organizational Leadership