Graduate Theological Union
Devin Phillip Zuber
Pacific School of Religion
Assistant Professor of American Studies, Literature and Swedenborgian Studies
At GTU since 2011
Ph.D. English Literature, CUNY Graduate Center, 2010
M.Phil., CUNY Graduate Center, 2007
M.A., Queens College, CUNY, 2008
B.A., Bryn Athyn College, 2000
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Aesthetics and Visual Culture
- American Studies
- Literary Theory
- Emanuel Swedenborg
- Environmental Literature and Ecocriticism
- "Spiritualized Science and the Celestial Artist: Nathaniel Hawthorne and Swedenborgian Aesthetics." Chapter contribution to An Infinite Horizon: An Anthology of Essays on Swedenborg. Edited by Stephen McNeilly. (London: Dedaecus Press with the Swedenborg Society, 2011).
- “'Those Almost Uninhabited Shores': John James Audubon and the Violence of Space." In The Audubon Trilogy: Delineations of American Scenes and Manners (Cairo, New Madrid, West Point), chapbook catalogue with DVD for exhibition by Jacob Cartwright and Nick Jordon. (Manchester, UK: Cornerhouse Publications, 2010).
- "Buddha of the North: Swedenborg and Transpacific Zen." Religion and the Arts. 14:1 (January 2010). pp. 1-33.
- "Satanic Mills and Jerusalem Redeemed: William Blake’s Urban Ecopoetics." Green Letters 10 (Winter 2008 / 2009). Edited by Rupert Hildeyard. Journal of the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (United Kingdom). pp. 39-49.
- "‘Poking Around in the Dust of Asia’: Wallace Stevens, Modernism and the Aesthetics of the East." Chapter contribution to Orient and Orientalisms in American Poetry and Poetics. Edited by Sabine Sielke. (Frankfurt: Lang Verlag, 2009). pp. 189--213.
- "Flânerie at Ground Zero: Aesthetic Counter-Memories in Lower Manhattan." American Quarterly 58:2 (June 2006). Edited by Marita Sturken. Journal of the American Studies Association. pp. 269-299.